G J Sole Transport Ltd
Court Summary - at a glance
- Ensure an appropriate method of log cartage is implemented;
- Ensure the sides of the dump truck are extended by way of stanchions or similar certified extensions;
- Ensure that logs remain below the level of the sides of the bin of a dump truck and crowned as per the approved code of practice;
- Ensure a written safe operating procedure is put in place; and
- Identify the risk of logs falling from the side of a dump truck in a company hazard register.
The victim was a casual employee with the defendant in the role of both forestry and transportation.
On the day of the incident, the victim was releasing a strop on the side of a dump truck. He was subsequently struck by a log approx. 3.5m long and weighing approx. 800kgs.
The investigation revealed the logs were loaded above the edge of the trailer/bin, and that there were no other mechanisms to prevent the log from falling.