Hautapu Pine Products Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
- Implement a written standard operating procedure for trolley derailment.
- Ensure suitable equipment was used for removing trolleys from cylinders, including appropriate chains and links.
- Have a service and inspection schedule in place for chains and links.
- Ensure forklift and vehicles are protected from likely harm.
- Implement and ensure staff adheres to an effective written lone worker policy.
Three of the five trolleys loaded with treated timber inside the transport cylinder had derailed while being pulled out by the victim. He attempted to use the forklift to pull the treated timber from the treatment cylinders. A bolt that attached to the chain to the trolley snapped, the chain snapped backwards going through the rear window of the forklift and striking the victim in the back of the head.
He was knocked unconscious and the forklift drove forward before coming to rest against some wood pallets where he fell from the forklift
The victim’s partner called in to the mill on her way home from work at approximately 8:30pm and find him wandering around the mill in a dazed state, bleeding heavily and with a large laceration to the back of his head.