We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Two restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Information for licence holders on how to notify us of any changes, to your information, apply for a replacement or to surrender your license, supply training or safety management information or request a decision review.
On this page
- Notify WorkSafe of changes to your information
- Add or remove a nominated supervisor
- Apply for a replacement licence document
- Apply to amend your licence conditions
- Voluntarily surrender your licence
- Return your licence document to WorkSafe
- Supply evidence of supervisor training
- Supply evidence of certified safety management system
- Send a submission to WorkSafe
- Request a decision review
You must give us written notice of any change to information in relation to your licence, within 14 days of becoming aware of the change.
For example please notify us of changes to:
- email address, postal address, physical address, contact person etc, and/or
- information that was provided in your application that was inaccurate or misleading.
You may add or remove a nominated supervisor at any time by providing us with the required information and paying any relevant fee.
Add a nominated supervisor
Complete the Application to add a supervisor form and send it to us.
Make sure you pay the relevant fee.
We will then assess your application and determine whether to approve the addition of the nominated supervisor.
You will be notified of the decision and, if the nomination is not approved you are able to request a decision review.
Remove a nominated supervisor
You must advise us when you remove a nominated supervisor from your removal licence within 14 days of making the change.
Complete the Notification of supervisor removal form and send it to us. There is no fee payment required.
You must contact us as soon as possible if your licence document has been lost, stolen or destroyed. To do this, complete the Application for replacement asbestos licence form and send it to us.
Make sure you pay the replacement licence document fee.
Once satisfied that your original licence document has been lost, stolen or destroyed, we will issue a replacement licence document. If not satisfied, we will give you written notice of the refusal and advise the reasons why, within 14 days of the decision being made.
If WorkSafe refuses to replace your licence document you are able to request a decision review.
You may wish to request we amend your licence, for example by varying or deleting a condition of the licence.
Your amendment application must be made to us in writing and you must also pay the relevant fee.
Your application will be considered and we will notify you within 14 days of making a decision. If the amendment is not approved you are able to request a decision review.
You can voluntarily surrender your licence by providing written notice to us and enclosing your licence document. Your licence is immediately expired.
We may cancel a surrendered licence to record any breach or basis for cancellation. This means you will need to declare this if you apply for a licence in the future.
If your licence is amended you must return your old licence to us by the date stated in the covering letter accompanying your new licence document.
You must ensure that all supervisors nominated on your asbestos removal licence have completed relevant training by 4 April 2018.
Once each supervisor has completed the training you must supply evidence of the training to us by completing the Supervisor training advice form and sending it to us together with a copy of the supervisor’s training certificate.
If you are a Class A asbestos removal licence holder you have until 4 April 2018 to supply evidence to us that you have a certified safety management system in place.
A certified safety management system means a safety management system that:
- an auditor accredited by JAS-ANZ(external link) or NATA(external link) has certified as being compliant with:
- Australia/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4801:2001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems); or
- Another international standard recognised by WorkSafe; and
- meets any requirements prescribed in a safe work instrument issued by WorkSafe.
WorkSafe has worked with JAS-ANZ to develop the standards for certification of safety management systems and to ensure that accredited assessors are available to certify safety management systems. Here is the latest information. Once your safety management system has been certified you must complete the Safety management system certification advice form and send it to us.
You can send a submission to us if you have been notified that we are proposing to:
- make an amendment to your licence
- cancel your licence
- suspend your licence
- refuse to amend your licence as you requested
- refuse to grant your licence
- refuse to renew your licence
- disqualify you from applying for another licence.
Your submission must be made in writing and sent to us by the date specified in our notification, which will be at least 28 days after the date it was given to you. We will consider your request and advise you of its decision.
Send your submission to us by email or post using one of the following:
WorkSafe New Zealand
PO Box 165
New Zealand 6140
You are entitled to apply to us for a review of a reviewable decision. Any application is to be made using the Apply for a review of a reviewable decision form. It must be submitted to WorkSafe within 28 days of the date on which we gave written notice of the decision.
As a licence holder you may apply for a review of the following decisions:
- Refusal to approve the nomination of a supervisor
- Amendment of a licence, on WorkSafe’s initiative
- Refusal to amend a licence on application (or a decision to make a different amendment)
- Refusal to issue replacement licence document
- Suspension of licence
- Cancellation of licence
- Disqualification of licence holder from applying for another licence.
You will need to state why you would like the decision to be reviewed, and include any additional information that will support your application.
We will consider your request and advise you of its decision.