Alert: Notifications and correspondence during COVID-19 restrictions
We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 Alert Level Two requirements. Find out more about how to correspond and notify us during this time.
Worker participation is essential to keep workplaces healthy and safe. The best health and safety outcomes are achieved when a PCBU and its workers work together. Worker representatives are one way for workers to participate in improving work health and safety.
Well-established ways for worker engagement and participation include Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and Health and Safety Committees (HSCs).
- An HSR is a worker who has been elected by the members of their work group to represent them in health and safety matters.
- An HSC enables the PCBU and workers to meet regularly and work cooperatively to ensure workers’ health and safety.
We have produced a range of guidance about HSRs and HSCs.
Worker representation through Health and Safety Representatives and Health and Safety Committees
These interpretive guidelines explain:
- what a PCBU must do if they receive requests for an HSR or HSC
- what the powers and functions of HSRs are
- what the functions of HSCs are
- what the obligations of a PCBU are toward their HSRs and HSCs.
We have also produced pamphlets that summarise key points about representation, HSRs and HSCs.
We have also produced guidance to show what good worker engagement, participation and representation looks like.