We are operating at reduced capacity due to COVID-19 Alert Level Two restrictions. Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
WorkSafe has a variety of key operational activities and priorities within the major hazard facilities sector.
Key operational activities
Driving improvements in industry major hazard safety performance through proactive regulatory interventions such as:
- Risk-based inspection of operations to determine the adequacy of management systems.
- Investigating accidents and incidents.
- Enforcement of statutory duties and requirements.
- Working with relevant stakeholders to identify, define, document and promote good practice in the assessment and management of major hazards in the upstream major hazard facility sector.
- Assessing and making decisions on facility notifications and safety cases.
- Continue to recruit and develop our MHF staff
- Carrying out inspections and responding to notifications
- Assessing safety cases and MAPPs
- Ensuring that workers at MHF sites are engaged as required by the MHF regulations
- Continue to engage with stakeholders on what we do, why and how we do it; with an aim of ensuring compliance with the MHF regulations