MHF key operational activities and priorities
WorkSafe has a variety of key operational activities and priorities within the major hazard facilities sector.
Key operational activities
Driving improvements in industry major hazard safety performance through proactive regulatory interventions such as:
- Risk-based inspection of operations to determine the adequacy of management systems.
- Investigating accidents and incidents.
- Enforcement of statutory duties and requirements.
- Working with relevant stakeholders to identify, define, document and promote good practice in the assessment and management of major hazards in the upstream major hazard facility sector.
- Assessing and making decisions on facility notifications and safety cases.
- Developing inspectorate capability.
- Developing information infrastructure to support regulatory activities.
- Creating policies and procedures that will allow transparent and consistent administration of legislation.
- Producing guidance for and educating employers and other duty holders on their duties under the major hazard facilities regulations.
- Ensuring operators engage with workers when preparing safety cases or major accident prevention policies.