Hughes Partners Limited
Court Summary - at a glance
Principals should ensure:
- that a group control is in place to prevent unauthorised removal when there is propping in place for precast concrete panels;
- enforcement and monitoring of site rules relating to warning signs for hazardous work; and
- that contractors coordinate effectively, including in the following ways:
- having a system in place to ensure safe removal when propping is in place for precast concrete panels; and
- consultation with other parties involved with the project to re-assess the risks when reinstalling concrete panels that had been previously installed incorrectly.
On the day of the incident, the victim was instructed to remove wooden propping from underneath a concrete lintel weighing over 1000kg. The lintel was only partially secured by a tack weld and relied on the propping to keep it safely in place until a full weld could be completed. The lintel fell and landed on the victim. It also hit the base of a ladder on which a second victim was working.
The victim working on the ground suffered serious leg crush injuries including bone fractures and damage to multiple ligaments. The second victim fell and hit his head, losing consciousness.